Green Späce Challenge
What Jeff Bezos -as a young man- had in mind talking about "hotels, amusement parks and colonies for two to three million people in space" is gradually becoming reality today.
The "Green Space Challenge" idea competition is aimed at students at universities in Germany who are interested in entrepreneurial activities and would like to learn more about developing their own business ideas. Due to the thematic focus on sustainability and resource conservation, coupled with space technology such as satellite data, young people in particular are the target group, as they are very sensitized to the topic and are currently involved in numerous initiatives for more climate and environmental protection. Being able to get involved themselves with their own business models and exert an influence on development is an incentive that is stimulated in the process. The combination of the rather soft component "environment" with future technologies such as satellite data represents a sensible and purposeful interlocking, which radiates attractiveness and is forward-looking.
1. Kickoff (15th September 2023: 10.00 - 16.00, University Stuttgart - Pfaffenwaldring 29, 70569 Stuttgart - Foyer/Ground floor)
The competition starts with a kick-off event at which the teams are put together and initial ideas are exchanged. Afterwards, the teams have 6 weeks to work out their ideas, with the office of the ideas competition advising the students. The teams will each receive 400€ to spend on small purchases for the project. The goal is to assemble 10 teams.
Who missed this kickoff-workshop, can still register until 11.October 2023. Please register online via the form and additionally write an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- 10:00 - 10:30: Welcome & introduction of ESA BIC.
- 10.30 - 11.00: Introductions of participants
- 11.00 - 11.30: Connect & Group formation Workshop
- 11:30 - 12:00: Meetup in Groups: Admin & Orga [Group Photo]
- 12:00 - 13.30: Lunch Break
- 13:30 - 14:00: Meetup in Groups: First idea exchange
- 14:00 - 14:15: Presentation of Rules of the Challenge
- 14:15 - 14.30: Presentation of Deliverables (Business Model Canvas, Business Plan, Presentation)
- 14:30 - 15:00: Presentation of Green Späce Criteria & Jury members
- 15:00 - 16:00: First steps idea & Business Model Canvas - Open Q&A
- 16:00: End of Kick-off
2. Elaboration of business model within groups (Online, remote in groups)
The teams have 6 weeks of development time, during which they can exchange information about the status of their development and the cooperation within the team, but also receive feedback and tips for further development from ESA BIC BW. If necessary, the student teams will be connected with partners from the network of ESA BIC and IHK Reutlingen to solve the challenges in a goal-oriented way and to discuss individual aspects of the business field.
15.September 2023 - 10.November: Elaboration in groups with online consulting from ESA BIC BW.
3. BVSR Liftoff - 03rd November 2023, Würzburg
Within the 6-week development period, a BVSR Liftoff networking event takes place at which the teams exchange information about the status of their development and the cooperation within the team and give each other feedback and tips for further development. At this event in cooperation with BVSR, the partners are firmly integrated and also provide assistance in the implementation of the ideas already generated.
03 November 2023:
Workshop & networking event in Würzburg
Kickoff event of the BVSR Liftoff -Würzburg
03.11.2023 start noon, premises in TGZ
4. Deadline 10th November 2023
After 6 weeks, the submission of the documents will take place at 23.59 at the latest.
Deadline: November 10, 2023 - 11.59 p.m.
Documents: Business Model Canvas, Business Model, Presentation, Attachments
Submission of documents: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com (in cc)
5. Jury meeting (15th November, 2023: 14.00-16.00, Online)
The business models developed are evaluated by a jury of experts. After submission of the documents, this jury meeting takes place, in which the submitted business models are discussed and evaluated by the experts according to the criteria presented at the beginning of the Challenge. The "Green" criteria were derived from the ESG taxonomy of the EU, the strategy for the promotion of emission-free technologies and the future areas of the ESA BIC BW.
November 15, 2023 - 14-16 hrs.
6. Final Pitch (28th November, 2023: 17.00 - 21.00, Fernsehturm)
The business models developed are then evaluated by a jury of experts. Transparent evaluation criteria are set up for this purpose, which the ideas must meet. Finally, an award ceremony is held in November/December, where the students can meet startups, partners and investors and exchange ideas.
- 17.00 - 17.30: Welcome Engelhard, ESA BIC & greetings.
- 17.30 - 18.00: Keynote TBD
- 18.00 - 18.45: 3min pitches [10 startups].
- 18.45 - 19.15: Break & jury meeting
- 19.15 - 19.30: Award ceremony
- 19.30 - 19.45: Closing remarks
- 19.45 - 21.00: Food & Networking
- 21.00: End of the event